Friday, April 2, 2010

Chick Update

The chicks are doing well, and they're growing quickly! My babes have been living inside for the past week (tomorrow will be one week since we got them) because it's still pretty cold outside, we have not yet built them a coop, and they are itty bitty. My mom told me that as soon as they have feathers they will be ready to be outside. Also, I figure that when they have feathers the weather will be warmer and we will have a coop built. Here are the little buggers... they're already getting taller!


As I was outside preparing my soil for the garden I let the chicks outside in their fenced-in area.



When I took this photo the sun was shining. As soon as it began raining I ran to the chicks to see how they were doing. The first time they looked like this, all hiding their faces in the straw.



The second time I went to check on them I could not see one of them! Upon closer inspection I saw three little butts. I picked them up and put them back into their tub. But where was the fourth?! Her orange fuzz matched almost perfectly the color of the straw and for a good few minutes I could not hear or see Raphael anywhere! I freaked out for a bit, put Leo in the house (my loud beagle who was shouting back and forth with the Doberman through the fence), and came back and could hear Raphael screaming for help. I barely spotted her in the straw and back in the tub she went.



I decided my chicks were not yet ready to be outside, so I brought them back inside where they were kept warm and protected by their heat lamp. They were content.

1 comment: